Current:Home > StocksOfficials clear homeless encampment at California state beach -Capitatum
Officials clear homeless encampment at California state beach
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:52:44
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Officials cleared a homeless encampment at a California state beach Thursday, a month after Gov. Gavin Newsom directed cities and state agencies to take urgent action against people sleeping in public spaces.
Bright yellow trash trucks rolled onto the sands of Dockweiler State Beach, located behind the Los Angeles International Airport, accompanied by county workers and local law enforcement for the cleanup operation.
The operation was organized by LA City Councilmember Traci Park along with the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority. The beach is part of California’s state park system, but the county provides its maintenance and lifeguard services while the city handles policing.
Park’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Thursday.
Earlier this summer, Gov. Newsom issued an executive order for state agencies to start removing homeless encampments on public land in his boldest action yet following a Supreme Court ruling allowing cities to enforce bans on people sleeping outside. He urged cities and counties to do the same, but they are not legally mandated to do so.
In August, he threatened to take away state funding from cities and counties that are not doing enough to clear encampments as he appeared to work alongside Los Angeles sanitation workers to throw away trash.
Under Newsom’s leadership, the state has spent roughly $24 billion to clean up streets and house people, including at least $3.2 billion in grants given to local governments to build shelters, clear encampments and connect homeless people to services as they see fit, Newsom said.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and LA County officials have pushed back against the governor’s approach, saying that criminalizing homelessness or simply clearing encampments without offering services or shelter does not work. While more than 75,000 people were homeless on any given night across Los Angeles County, according to a tally at the start of the year, there are only about 23,000 emergency shelter beds in the county.
James Kingston, 63, was forced out of the encampment Thursday. He said he lived at the beach because of how many cans and bottles he can collect on the weekends for money.
Like many others, he was unfazed by the clean up crew, since he’s experienced this several times while being homeless over the past six years. Some people left as soon as police showed up, while others watched as officials cordoned off their tents. Shortly before the cleanup, they had received a notice that it would be happening.
“You just grab your important stuff and everything else has got to go,” Kingston said. “You just got to let it go because that’s how it is.”
veryGood! (86479)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Airlines, government and businesses rush to get back on track after global tech disruption
- Air travel delays continue, though most airlines have recovered from global tech outage
- Former U.S. Rep. Henry Nowak, who championed western New York infrastructure, dies at 89
- Small twin
- Thom Brennaman lost job after using gay slur. Does he deserve second chance?
- National bail fund returns to Georgia after judge says limits were arbitrary
- Secret Service admits some security modifications for Trump were not provided ahead of assassination attempt
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Simone Biles’ pursuit of balance: How it made her a better person, gymnast
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- FACT FOCUS: A look at false claims around Kamala Harris and her campaign for the White House
- Ex-Philadelphia police officer sentenced to at least 8 years in shooting death of 12-year-old boy
- Democrats promise ‘orderly process’ to replace Biden, where Harris is favored but questions remain
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Miss Kansas Alexis Smith, domestic abuse survivor, shares story behind viral video
- Charmed's Holly Marie Combs Reveals Shannen Doherty Promised to Haunt Her After Death
- Harris looks to lock up Democratic nomination after Biden steps aside, reordering 2024 race
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Trump, Ukraine's Zelenskyy speak by phone
Donald Trump to appear on golfer Bryson DeChambeau's Break 50 show for 'special episode'
Read Obama's full statement on Biden dropping out
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Inter Miami stars Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez won’t play in MLS All-Star Game due to injury
Get the scoop on National Ice Cream Day!
Israeli military airstrikes hit Houthi targets in Yemen in retaliation to attacks